Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mollymawks

Ugh, pretty birds...still, customer's always right. Actually I enjoyed doing these two black browed albatross paintings. As ever soft pastels on 30 X 40 pastelmat.


Mollymawk 1. Looking beautiful on the nest, I liked the shapes that came out of this.



Mollymawk 2. This was a tougher proposition, an albatross doing something other than sitting on its nest looking noble. In flight wasn't really an option, I can't stand the appearance of albatross in gliding flight, they're just a bloody great black and white cross floating around in the painting, In my opinion they look a lot more interesting in the transition between flying and landing/taking off. So I assembled this montage of several references and a good dollop of imagination:


2 comments:

  1. I've also enjoyed painting black browed albatros, my parents took a load of photos when they were in your neighbourhood. However in Surrey everyone here keeps calling them bloody sea-gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great birds aren't they. Bloody BIG sea-gulls!

    ReplyDelete